Water damage to a ceiling is a major issue for the safety and sanctity of your home. Be it the result of a broken pipe or torrential rainfall, it’s particularly important to deal with it to ensure the health and comfort of your home. If ignored, it can cause molding and/or a frail building structure. It doesn’t matter what the roof is made up of as no ceiling can be fully protected against water damage. If you are planning to buy a home or already own one, it’s critical for the integrity of your home to recognize the signs of damage. Water damage to walls and/or floors along with toxic mold growth can cause permanent structural damage. The can be caused by leaks, floods, overflowing water sources, ice dams, water stagnancy, etc.
How to Check for The Damages:
1. The walls- The best way of determining water damage is to look for water stains on the walls and ceilings. Additionally, keep an eye out for cracks in the drywall. Water damaged walls may also have swollen, puffed spots which are soft to the touch.
2. The floors- No flooring is immune from water damage and can cause further damage by seeping down below to the foundations. Buckling or disfiguring of floors are bad signs for your floor condition.
3. The pipes- Carefully study the pipes in the kitchen, bathrooms and other areas of the house. Rusting around the pipe connections can cause leaks. Also check the caulking around the bathroom fixtures. If there is a loose caulking, know that you could be facing a water seepage problem sooner than later.
4. The exterior- Look for damaged flashing and missing or cracked shingles on the roof. If you see standing water anywhere outside the home, it could be the sign of a problem.
Now that the potential checks have been clarified, let us discuss the solution. These are as follows:
1. The foremost thing to take care of is to stop the water leakage, otherwise all other repairs are futile. Find the source of the leak and fix it as soon as possible. Make sure that no moisture gets deposited in the roof. Then, move to the next step.
2. Always make sure to protect the floor and furniture in the house by spreading a tarp over them. Once you have fixed the source, dry the ceiling with fans. You have to dry the area both below and above the ceiling. If there are bulges on the ceiling, stab it with a sharp tool like a knife as this lets the moisture fall out. Dry this area completely before you begin your repairing work.
3. Use a scraping tool to get rid of any flaking surface as well. Utilize sandpaper to smooth over the rough areas. If you see big holes in the ceiling, use plaster to repair these holes. Use only joint compound for small holes.
4. Apply a coating of primer over all stains caused due to water damage. Add multiple coats. Initiate your painting of the ceiling only after the primer has dried up otherwise the stains will be visible.
The roof is a rather important part of any house and it protects us from the natural factors. It’s important for us to take care of the roof of the house which is extremely vulnerable to water damage.